Thursday, March 06, 2008

which one are you?


Imagine my little boy's shock when he said something harmless to me and I snapped back at him. I hate that!

I hate that shocked look in a child's eyes when you realize they didn't know you've had a hard day...they didn't know they were about to do the one more thing that would be the "last straw." They didn't know you had a long day of dealing with whiny, demanding, grumpy people -- and in all truth it's NOT their job to know that!

All they know is they didn't see our snappy response coming their way! In fact, it shouldn't have been there at all.

Just recently I've been struggling with keeping a good attitude around grumpy people. I realized that sometimes I can get grumpy just by being with them, yet I can't identify that I have any reason to be that way. It's like I was being a mirror and reflecting their behavior even when I didn't agree with it.

Then I read this article by an amazing Mom & writer, Marcia Washburn: (marcia@chec.org -- check it out :-)

"Make a habit of happiness. As the mom, you should be the thermostat (setting the emotional temperature of the home), not the thermometer (reflecting others' hot anger or cold shoulder attitudes). Most of us will be just about as happy as we make up our minds to be. Spending time in the Word each morning will prepare you for the day's challenges."

Wow, Marcia! That describes exactly what I've been dealing with lately! I've been a thermometer and reflecting other's anger instead of being the thermostat that makes our home a refuge...

Which one are you?

1 comment:

shawnalyne said...

Good word, my friend. I miss you!