Friday, April 25, 2008

freedom

Galatians 5, verse 1:

It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.

This one is for you!

There is something that really stands out about the first time "freedom" is used in that sentence...for me it's like a little bump in the sidewalk that I trip over every time I read it.

It is for freedom...for freedom...notice it is present tense.

When I was growing up we talked a lot about "Salvation" and "being saved." But in this verse it clearly talks about freedom. Some of us go through really rough patches when we don't feel free at all. I'm not talking about when we let the cares of life rob us of our peace, I'm talking about when we feel (and sincerely think we are)defeated, tried and convicted, unsalvageable, condemned.

Also, in the old days, we talked about the difference between conviction and condemnation. It's good to be reminded of the difference, because the last one does not come from Christ. So the next logical question is, if not from Christ, then who does this condemnation come from? Another question to ask is, who gets the glory from keeping me in this "stuck" holding pattern? (I think you know what I'm getting at) How do I know this? I know this simply because it is written:

It is for freedom that Christ has set us free.

1 comment:

Just wondering said...

Thanks for another awesome blog! It spoke truth deep inside me. Freedom seems to be the word/truth God is speaking to me the last week or so. You put it so simply that even I understand it!