Monday, December 28, 2009

DNA


Recently an organization I love seems to have lost some of it's DNA. What do I mean by DNA? Well, I mean people basically. The organization I'm referring to has lost some very important people that form the foundation, or backbone of what makes this organization what it is. Or what it was.

In this day and age people come and go - We are a fluid society - We need to embrace change, blah, blah, blah...I'm not bitter, I'm just tired. Tired of losing good people, watching my heritage walk away. Or be sent away in some cases.

But we must not loose our basic DNA. If we do, we just might become a really strange mutation. Ever see The Fly?

From what I read, the purpose of DNA has to do with long-term storage of information. It's been compared to a blue print or a recipe. In this case I'm referring to people that have been there all along, through thick and thin, they help form the genetic blue print of who we are as an organization.

It reminds me of when Dave used to run summer camp, every evening would end with a fun and inspiring campfire. Tired kids, parents and staff would gather around a roaring fire and laugh at great skits and sing together. (Hey Dave, remember when you would sing 'Forever Young' and the parents would all cry?!) Those old skits were part of the DNA of a good camp.

Some of the same skits were used year after year, but even so Dave and his staff would start out the summer by training the new leaders the old skits, the way they were meant to be. I asked Dave why he had to teach the same old skits over again, and he replied, "Because if we don't, they have a strange way of mutating."

It will be interesting to see what this organization does. In the mean time I watch, pray, support and hang on to my fly swatter!

No comments: