Saturday, June 28, 2008

loss

When I was still single, I attended an awesome group at church. We didn't have a cool name like the "Uprising" group at our church does -- we were simply the "college and career" group. Same thing though: bible studies, serving the community together, fun get-togethers, missions.

In one of the year-long bible studies we had I made some great friends who really challenged me. After a year of meeting together you get to know each other pretty well -- and I got to know my best friend's little brother Max. (not real name, of course) Max has a long family legacy of Christ-followers, and yet he always had this "angst" in him. I like angst, it's so raw and honest. I always appreciated Max's open demeanor, and his struggles with God and the way He wants us to live. (you know, things like in Colossians 3)

Then, back in '93 Max openly walked away from a life with Christ...he had already joined the service, had some family struggles, real life stuff that we all can relate to. During the last several years God blessed Max (that's the way I see it) with a best friend in the service named Rob. Their families were close, they were close. And this week Rob died. Killed in Iraq. Roadside bomb. Very frustrating. Very sad.

So, now what about Max? Will he become even more bitter towards God? Will he turn to Jesus who still stands at the door and knocks...waiting for Max to open the door again. As of yet this story has no conclusion, yet I know how I would end it if it were in my power. Now you know the kinds of things that occupy my thoughts and prayers for my friends.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a story. My prayer is that he some how saw enough of Jesus in his friend to know to turn to Jesus in this sad time. Thanks for sharing I love to read you blog. Love ya, Jodie