Sunday, January 13, 2008

walking with God


I had a dream the other night...it was about walking with God. I loved it because it reminded me of other dreams I used to have when I was younger, dreams in which I would learn things from and about God.

In this dream I was standing with God looking up at Multnomah Falls when He asked me if I wanted to go with Him to the top of the mountain. Then He stepped ahead on the trail and reached back toward me with His hand outstretched in invitation for mine.

Instantly (as can only happen in dreams) several scenarios flashed through my mind...

In one scenario I got too excited, ran ahead, and tired out quickly.

In another I found the traversing back and forth up the mountain arduous, tedious, and even a little (dare I admit it?)boring. Every time I would look up to see how far we had left to hike I would get overwhelmed and want to quit.

In another, most-horrible scenario, I got so excited to get to the top I charged straight up the mountain only to lose my footing and fall tumbling down with all kinds of disastrous results.

Then suddenly (as can only happen in a dream) I was back at the base of the mountain again...I stopped, looked at God's outstretched hand, and realized I needed to just take His hand. He was not going to thrill or entertain me, but there He was still offering to take me along with Him. To allow me to share the adventure with Him. To lead me. To guide me along the best path...to spend time with me.

1 comment:

shawnalyne said...

God dreams are the best, aren't they! What an adventure life is with Him! Thanks for sharing!