Wednesday, November 21, 2007

baked bread



I'm not much for the smell of incense...especially that stuff in mall that silently sneaks out of it's store, assails my nose and punches me in the stomach as I walk by...but I have to believe that the incense of Psalm 141:2 is different than all that cheap mall stuff.

Psalm 141:2
May my prayer be set before you like incense;
may the lifting up of my hands be like the evening sacrifice.

Then again in Revelation:

Revelation 5:8
And when he had taken it, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb. Each one had a harp and they were holding golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints.

Revelation 8:3
Another angel, who had a golden censer, came and stood at the altar. He was given much incense to offer, with the prayers of all the saints, on the golden altar before the throne.

Revelation 8:4
The smoke of the incense, together with the prayers of the saints, went up before God from the angel's hand.

Yes, our prayers are pleasing to God. And I long to please Him. I don't know what "incense" smells like to God, but when I think of pleasing smells, fresh baked bread comes to mind! Yes, I love it, at the right time it can even make my mouth water. Sometimes I want bread just because it smells so good. Do you think it's possible that our prayers can be that kind of aroma when offered up to God?

No comments: