Tuesday, May 15, 2007

lost change


My Lord Jesus told this really awesome story (parable) about a lady who lost a coin...well, here, it's short so I'll print it for you:

The Parable of the Lost Coin * Luke 15

8"Or suppose a woman has ten silver coins and loses one. Does she not light a lamp, sweep the house and search carefully until she finds it? 9And when she finds it, she calls her friends and neighbors together and says, 'Rejoice with me; I have found my lost coin.' 10In the same way, I tell you, there is rejoicing in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents."

I am so much like that lady. When I lose something I can drive myself and my poor family crazy looking for it. I have been known to "sweep the house" and stay up late looking for certain things. Like one time last year I lost the grocery money. (oops, Dave, didn't I tell ya?) This was especially bad because we keep a cash envelope for groceries and that meant things were going to be real tight until the next paycheck. I searched for it with such intensity. I yelled at myself too, "Did I actually lose the grocery money?!" I couldn't believe it!

Well last month I lost a very rare and valuable coin. Only this time it wasn't money. This time my "coin" was a teenager that my whole family has bonded with and grown attached to for many years now...this particular coin is a person who planted a tree for me in the yard, who gave gifts to and spoiled my kids, someone we love very much, care about and even spent some of our well-protected "family time" with. You get the idea. The truly sad thing is this coin was not only lost, it ran away.

When this coin got lost...I had such an intense reaction. I surprised myself how driven I was to find this lost one. I did things that, because I'm shy, don't come naturally to me. Things like make phone calls (all my closest friend will tell you this is NOT normal for me), talk to school officials, even talk to the police. Things I didn't really have the "right" to do. Then I thought, "Hey, I'm like that lady in the parable about the lost coin." Even to the point that when the coin was found I wanted call people and rejoice! (of course due to confidentiality sharing this joy with others was not appropriate)

The only problem is, this coin didn't want to be found. Not yet anyway. So I continue to intercede and pray for this one...and encourage the family as much as I can. It's sad and difficult and we all feel a real hurt about this.

2 comments:

shawnalyne said...

All I can say is you are amazing! What a prolific--and wonderful--writer you are!
I want to hang out this summer. Greg should have the pool up and de-algified soon . . .

Jennifer said...

I know about precious teenage coins...I will continue to pray that your coin not only finds its way home but also sees its original lustre fully restored as it begins to realize its real and true value...